I was born in 1980 in Boden, a military town in the far north. When I was six I moved with my parents to the University town of Umeå. There I did my first two years at the University studying history and music. 2002 I moved to Gothenburg on the Swedish west coast where I worked and studied for many years before I started as a Ph.D. candidate here in Lund.
About the research
My research revolves around the phenomena of scientific integration and interdisciplinary, especially as it occurs and is pursued in the field of sustainability science. In my doctoral thesis
- Thorén, H. (2015). The Hammer and the Nail : Interdisciplinarity and Problem Solving in Sustainability Science. Dissertation.
- Thorén, H. (submitted). Replacement and Expansion in Scientific Imperialism. Social Epistemology. Routledge.
- Persson, J., Thorén, H. & Olsson, L. (accepted/in press). The interdisciplinary decision problem : Popperian optimism and Kuhnian pessimism in forestry. Ecology and Society. The Resilience Alliance.
- Thorén, H. & Olsson, L. (2018). Is resilience a normative concept?. Resilience - International Policies, Practices and Discourses, 6, 112-128. Taylor & Francis.
- Olsson, L., Jerneck, A., Thorén, H., Persson, J. & O Byrne, D. (2015). Why resilience is unappealing to social science : Theoretical and empirical investigations of the scientific use of resilience. Science advances, 1. American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Thorén, H. & Breian, L. (2015). Stepping stone or stumbling block? : Mode 2 knowledge production in sustainability science. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C: Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. Elsevier.
- Thorén, H. & Persson, J. (2015). Resilience: Some Philosophical Remarks on Defining Ostensively and Stipulatively. Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy, 11, 64-74. Proquest.
- Hepburn, B. & Thorén, H. (2014). Integrating interdisciplinary problem solving through process. [unknown]. Historielärarnas förening.
- Thorén, H. (2014). Resilience as a Unifying Concept. International Studies in the Philosophy of Science, 28, 303-324. Taylor & Francis.
- Thorén, H. & Persson, J. (2013). The philosophy of interdisciplinarity: sustainability science and problem-feeding. Journal for General Philosophy of Science, 44, 337-355. Springer.
- Malmgren, H., Radovic, S., Thorén, H. & Haglund, B. (2010). A philosophical view on concepts in psychiatry. International Journal of Law and Psychiatry, 33, 66-72. Elsevier.
Book chapters (2)
- Olsson, L., Jerneck, A., Thorén, H., Persson, J. & O Byrne, D. (2016). A Social Science Perspective on Resilience. In Chandler, D. & Coaffee, J. (Eds.) The Routledge Handbook of International Resilience (pp. 49-62). Routledge.
- Thorén, H. (2015). History and philosophy of science as an interdisciplinary field of problem transfers. In Wagenknecht, S., Nersessian, N. J. & Andersen, H. (Eds.) Studies in Applied Philosophy, Epistemology and Rational Ethics (pp. 147-159), 21. Springer International Publishing.
Conference contributions (4)
- Thorén, H. (accepted/in press). History and philosophy of science as an interdisciplinary field of problem transfers.
- Thorén, H. & Persson, J. (2011). Philosophy of Interdisciplinarity: Problem‐Feeding, Conceptual Drift, and Methodological Migration. PhilSci Archive.
- Thorén, H. & Gerlee, P. (2010). Weak Emergence and Complexity. In Fellerman, H., Dörr, M., Hanczy, M., Ladegaard Laursen, L., Mauer, S., Merkle, D., Monnard, P.-A., Støy, K. & Rasmussen, S. (Eds.) Artificial Life XII Proceedings of the Twelfth International Conference on the Synthesis and Simulation of Living Systems (pp. 879-886). MIT Press.
- Thorén, H. & Gerlee, P. (2010). Weak Emergence and Complexity. In Fellerman, H., Dörr, M., Hanczy, M., Ladegaard Laursen, L., Mauer, S., Merkle, D., Monnard, P.-A., Støy, K. & Rasmussen, S. (Eds.) Proceedings of the Alife XII Conference (pp. 879-886). MIT Press.
Newspaper articles (2)
- Brandstedt, E. & Thorén, H. (2017). Hög tid att handla i klimatfrågan. ETC.
- Brandstedt, E. & Thorén, H. (2016). En realistisk klimatomställning kräver en flygskatt. Sydsvenska Dagbladet, Debatt. Sydsvenska Dagbladet.