Research area: vocal communication, emotions.
I'm looking at the way humans can express and interpret emotional states without using language (non-linguistic vocalizations such as laughing and screaming) - the informational content of such sounds, their universality and evolutionary roots. You will find more information about the research, publications and ongoing experiments on my page at www.cogsci.se
About the research
I'm looking at the way humans can express and interpret emotional states without using language (non-linguistic vocalizations such as laughing and screaming) - the informational content of such sounds, their universality and evolutionary roots. My supervisors are Christian Balkenius and Tomas Persson. You will find more information about the research, publications and ongoing experiments on my page at www.cogsci.se
- Anikin, A. (submitted). Human nonverbal vocalizations. MediaTryck Lund. Dissertation.
- Anikin, A. (2020). A moan of pleasure should be breathy : The effect of voice quality on the meaning of human nonverbal vocalizations. Phonetica. Karger.
- Anikin, A. (2020). The link between auditory salience and emotion intensity. Cognition and Emotion. Taylor & Francis.
- Anikin, A. (2020). The perceptual effects of manipulating nonlinear phenomena in synthetic nonverbal vocalizations. Bioacoustics, 29, 226-247.
- Johansson, N., Anikin, A., Carling, G. & Holmer, A. (2020). The typology of sound symbolism : Defining macro-concepts via their semantic and phonetic features. Linguistic Typology. De Gruyter.
- Amorim, M., Anikin, A., Mendes, A., Lima, C., Kotz, S. & Pinheiro, A. (2019). Changes in Vocal Emotion Recognition Across the Life Span. Emotion. American Psychological Association (APA).
- Anikin, A. (2019). Soundgen : An open-source tool for synthesizing nonverbal vocalizations. Behavior Research Methods, 51, 778-792. Springer.
- Anikin, A. & Johansson, N. (2019). Implicit associations between individual properties of color and sound. Attention, Perception & Psychophysics, 81, 764-777. Springer.
- Johansson, N., Anikin, A. & Aseyev, N. (2019). Color Sound Symbolism in Natural Languages. Language and Cognition. Cambridge University Press.
- Lima, C. F., Anikin, A., Monteiro, A. C., Scott, S. K. & Castro, S. L. (2019). Automaticity in the recognition of nonverbal emotional vocalizations. Emotion, 19, 219-233. American Psychological Association (APA).
- Pinheiro, A., Lima, D., Albuquerque, P., Anikin, A. & Lima, C. (2019). Spatial location and emotion modulate voice perception. Cognition and Emotion, 33, 1577-1586. Taylor & Francis.
- Anikin, A. & Lima, C. (2018). Perceptual and acoustic differences between authentic and acted nonverbal emotional vocalizations. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 71, 622-641. Taylor & Francis.
- Anikin, A., Persson, T. & Arnling Bååth, R. (2018). Human Non-linguistic Vocal Repertoire : Call Types and Their Meaning. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior, 42, 53-80. Springer.
- Oliva, M. & Anikin, A. (2018). Pupil dilation reflects the time course of emotion recognition in human vocalizations. Scientific Reports, 8. Nature Publishing Group.
- Anikin, A. & Persson, T. (2017). Nonlinguistic vocalizations from online amateur videos for emotion research : A validated corpus. Behavior Research Methods, 49, 758-771. Springer.
- Gidlöf, K., Anikin, A., Lingonblad, M. & Wallin, A. (2017). Looking is buying. How visual attention and choice are affected by consumer preferences and properties of the supermarket shelf. Appetite, 116, 29-38. Elsevier.
Conference contributions (2)
- Oliva, M., Anikin, A. & Balkenius, C. (2017). Pupil dilation reflects the time course of perceptual emotion selection. In Arweström Jansson, A., Axelsson, A., Andreasson, R. & Billing, E. (Eds.) Skövde University Studies in Informatics, Proceedings of the 13th SweCog Conference (pp. 15-15), 2017. University of Skövde.
- Anikin, A., Nirme, J., Alomari, S., Bonnevier, J. & Haake, M. (2015). Compensation for a large gesture-speech asynchrony in instructional videos. In Ferré, G. & Tutton, M. (Eds.) Gesture and Speech in Interaction - 4th edition (GESPIN 4) (pp. 19-23).
- Anikin, A., Rudling, M., Persson, T. & Gärdenfors, P. (2018). Synesthetic Associations Between Voice and Gestures in Preverbal Infants : Weak Effects and Methodological Concerns. PsyArXiv.
- Anikin, A. (2017). soundgen : Parametric Voice Synthesis.