In recent years the main focus of my research has been in the areas of normative ethics, not least problems pertaining to the concepts of desert, rights and equality. Since 2013 I have mainly been working on a large project about the nature of moral rights, funded by the Swedish Research Council, that has led to a book manuscript, Moral Rights and their Grounds, to be published by Routledge. Recently I also secured funding from the SRC for a new project, "The Moral Significance of numbers," which concerns the question of how to explain, within a deontological theory, why it matters morally how many people we are able to save by performing a given action.
About the research
In recent years the main focus of my research has been in the areas of normative ethics, not least problems pertaining to the concepts of desert, rights and equality. They were the main targets for the project "On Moral Desert", funded by the Swedish Research Council and concluded in 2009. Since then I have worked on questions about rights in connection with punishment: what happens to our rights when we commit crimes? And which rights do we have as victims of crimes? In particular, do we have a right that those who wronged us be punished? This work has led to a more extensive project about the nature of rights, also funded by the Research Council, expected to run through 2015. The aim is to realize the project in the form of a book, provisionally entitled "Rights and Their Grounds," to be completed in 2018. In 2017 I received another grant from the Research Council for a project entitled "The Moral Significance of Numbers." The aim of the project is to develop a new deontological approach (that is, in terms of rights) to the problem of why we are morally required to save a greater number of people from harm rather than a smaller number.
- Alm, D. (2018). Moral Rights and Their Grounds. Routledge Studies in Ethics and Moral Theory. Routledge.
- Alm, D. (2019). Self-Defense, Forfeiture and Necessity. Philosophical Papers. Taylor & Francis.
- Alm, D. (2018). Crime Victims and the Right to Punishment. Criminal Law and Philosophy. Springer Netherlands.
- Alm, D. (2018). Punishment, Consent and Value. Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, 21, 903-914. Springer.
- Alm, D. (2017). A Puzzle About Proportionality. Res Publica. Brutus Östlings Bokförlag Symposion.
- Alm, D. (2015). Responsibility, Manipulation and Resentment. Social Theory and Practice. Philosophy Documentation Center.
- Alm, D. (2014). "Is There a Claim to Deserved Punishment?". The Southern Journal of Philosophy, 52, 403-425. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Alm, D. (2013). Manipulation, Responsibility and Rights. Journal of Value Inquiry, 47, 1-15. Springer.
- Alm, D. (2013). Self-Defense, Punishment and Forfeiture. Criminal Justice Ethics, 32. Routledge.
- Hillbom, E., Alm, D., Inghammar, A. & Mahmoud, Y. (2012). Assessing the role of property rights and legal empowerment in poverty reduction. International Social Science Journal, 63. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Alm, D. (2011). Defending Fundamental Requirements of Practical Reason: A Constitutivist Framework. Journal of Philosophical Research, 36, 77-102. Philosophy Documentation Center.
- Alm, D. (2011). How Much Effort Can We Make?. American Philosophical Quarterly, 48, 387-397. University of Illinois Press.
- Alm, D. (2011). Promises, Rights and Claims. Law and Philosophy, 30, 51-76. Springer.
- Alm, D. (2010). Desert and Aggregation. Journal of Political Philosophy, 18, 156-177. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Alm, D. (2010). Desert and the Control Asymmetry. Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, 13, 361-375. Springer.
- Alm, D. (2010). Equality and Comparative Justice. Inquiry: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Philosophy, 53, 309-325. Routledge.
- Alm, D. (2009). Deontological Restrictions and the Good/Bad Asymmetry. Journal of Moral Philosophy, 6. Brill Academic Publishers.
- Alm, D. (2008). Consequentialism and the Autonomy of the Deontic. Utilitas, 20, 199-216. Cambridge University Press.
- Alm, D. (2008). Contractualism, Reciprocity, Compensation. Journal of Ethics and Social Philosophy, 2. University of Southern California.
- Alm, D. (2008). Deontological Restrictions and the Self/Other Asymmetry. Noûs, 42, 642-672. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Alm, D. (2007). An argument for agent-neutral value. Ratio, 20, 249-263. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Alm, D. (2007). Non-Cognitivism and Validity. Theoria, 73, 121-147. Thales.
- Alm, D. (2004). Atomism About Value. Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 82, 312-331. Routledge.
Book chapters (3)
- Alm, D. (2013). Subjectivism, Ethical. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Alm, D. (2011). Den yttersta domen. Några filosofiska reflektioner. In Lundell, P. (Ed.) Årsbok (pp. 10-19). Vetenskapssocieteten i Lund.
- Alm, D. (2007). On an Apparent Asymmetry in Attitude Desert. Department of Philosophy, Lund University.
- Member, Grundutbildningsnämnden, Joint Faculties of Humanities and Theology