- Theoretical Philosophy
- Department of Philosophy
Visiting address Helgonavägen 3, Lund
Postal address Box 192, 221 00 Lund
Internal post code 30
I received my PhD in 2002 with the thesis Time, Persistence, and Causality: Towards a Dynamic View of Temporal Reality. I have since been employed as a lecturer at the department of food and nutrition at Umeå University, but have also received two postdoctoral research fellowships at Durham University in England (2004-05 and 2008-10). I am now employed as Researcher in Lund, first financed by a 3-year project grant from the Swedish Research Council (investigating McTaggart's Paradox) and now a 3-year project grant from The Swedish Foundation for the Humanities and Social Science, called 'Scientific Essentialism: Modernising the Aristotelian Account'.
I have taught research methods in the social and health sciences, but also metaphysics, philosophy of science, feminist philosophy, environmental ethics, aesthetics and the history of philosophy, in Umeå, Reykjavik, and Durham.
- McTaggart's Paradox (research leader)
- Scientific Essentilism: Modernising the Aristotelian View (research leader)
My research interests are predominantly in metaphysics and my publications address selected issues in the philosophy of time, causality, persistence, truth, and conditions. At present I am trying to understand McTaggart’s famous argument for the unreality of time.
- Ingthorsson, R. (2016). McTaggart's Paradox. Routledge Series in Contemporary Philosophy. Routledge.
- Gibb, S., Lowe, E. J. & Ingthorsson, R. (2013). (Eds.) Mental Causation and Ontology. Oxford University Press.
- Svennerlind, C., Jan, A. & Ingthorsson, R. (2013). (Eds.) Johanssonian Investigations : Essays in Honour of Ingvar Johansson on His Seventieth Birthday. Eide: Foundations of Ontology. Ontos Verlag.
- Ingthorsson, R. (2017). Challenging the grounding objection to presentism. Manuscrito, 40, 87-107. Universidade Estadual de Campinas - UNICAMP, Centro de Logica, Epistemologia e Historia da Ciencia.
- Ingthorsson, R. D. (2017). Is Competitive Elite Sport Really Morally Corrupt?. Physical Culture and Sport, Studies and Research, 75, 5-14. De Gruyter Open.
- Ingthorsson, R. (2015). The Regress of Pure Powers Revisited. European Journal of Philosophy, 23, 529-541. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Ingthorsson, R. (2013). Properties: Qualities, Powers, or Both?. Dialectica, 67, 55-80. Wiley-Blackwell.
Book chapters (1)
- Ingthorsson, R. (2013). The Elusive Appearance of Time. In Svennerlind, C., Almäng, J. & Ingthorsson, R. D. (Eds.) Johanssonian Investigations: Essays in the Honour of Ingvar Johansson on his Seventieth Birthday (pp. 304-316). Ontos Verlag.